Gianni Infantino, the president FIFA, has once again expressed solidarity with the Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr following this weekend’s heated racist incidents in La Liga.
The 22-year-old Brazil international was dismissed for violent conduct in the 97th minute of the 1-0 La Liga defeat after an altercation with Hugo Duro.
Earlier in the game, an incensed Vinicius attempted to bring Valencia fans to the referee’s attention.
Infantino, who publicly backed Vinícius in March after similar racist issues, wrote on Sunday:
“Full solidarity to Vinicius. There is no place for racism in football or in society and FIFA stands by all players who have found themselves in such a situation. Events during the match between Valencia and Real Madrid show that this needs to be the case,” he said in the statement.
“That is why the three-step process exists in FIFA competitions and it is recommended at all levels of football. Firstly, you stop the match, you announce it. Secondly, the players leave the pitch and the speaker announces that if the attacks continue, the match will be suspended. The match restarts, and then, thirdly, if the attacks continue, the match will stop and the three points will go to the opponent. These are the rules that should be implemented in all countries and in all leagues.
“Clearly, this is easier said than done, but we need to do it and we need to support it through education.”
Meanwhile, Vinícius himself has not let back on taking La Liga to the cleaners.
“The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to racists,” Vinicius wrote on Instagram.
“It wasn’t the first time, nor the second, nor the third. Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition thinks it’s normal, the federation does too and the opponents encourage it.
“A beautiful nation, which welcomed me and which I love, but which agreed to export the image of a racist country to the world. I’m sorry for the Spaniards who don’t agree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists.
“And unfortunately, for everything that happens each week, I have no defence. I agree. But I am strong and I will go to the end against racists. Even if far from here.”
La Liga said in a statement that it will investigate and take “appropriate legal action” if a hate crime is identified, calling on people to submit any relevant footage.
Writing on Twitter, La Liga president Javier Tebas said Vinicius twice did not turn up for a meeting with the governing body to discuss what it “can do in cases of racism”.
He added: “Before you criticise and slander La Liga you need to inform yourself properly.”
Vinicius criticised the post for targeting him instead of the “racists” and said he wants La Liga to take “actions and punishments”.
Source : myjoyonline