Hearts of Oak board member Barima Atuahene has been banned from taking part in any football related activity for a period of twenty four (24) months and has been fined GH¢ 6,000.
Atuahene went on a radio station in Accra and made false claims and allegations against the Referees Committee of the GFA and the match officials appointed for the match between Hearts of Oak and Wa All Stars at the Accra Stadium on April 3, 2016.
According to the Disciplinary Committee, Atuahene’s comments ast insinuations which incited the club’s supporters against the match officials.
Below is the full ruling of the Disciplinary Committee:
DECISION OF THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE ON THE ALLEGED INCITEMENT OF SUPPORTERS AGAINST MATCH OFFICIALS BY BARIMAH ATUAHENE AND FOR BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE
COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT
- COSMAS ANPENGNUO – CHAIRMAN
- ALEX KOTEY – MEMEBER
- NURUDEEN ALHASSAN – MEMBER
It is the case of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) that in relation to the premier league match played at the Accra Sports Stadium on 03/04/16 between ACCRA HEARTS OF OAK and WA ALL STARS, Barimah Atuahene, a board member of Accra Hearts of Oak, went on a radio station in Accra and made false claims and allegations against the Referees Committee of the GFA and the match officials appointed for the match. That Barimah Atuahene cast insinuations which incited the club’s supporters against the match officials.
Barimah Atuahene was charged under Article 54 of the G.F.A Disciplinary Code; and Article 35(1)(b) and 35(7)(d) of the G.F.A General Regulations.
By a letter dated 7/04/16 Barimah Atuahene pleaded guilty to the charges preferred against him. Barimah Atuahene further wrote a letter of apology to the Acting General Secretary and copied the Disciplinary committee among others for the statement made on the radio station.
Article 54 of the G.F.A Disciplinary Code states as follows;
1. A player or official who publicly incites others to hatred or violence will be sanctioned with match suspension for no less than twelve months and with a minimum fine of GH¢5000.00
2. In serious cases, in particular when the infringement is committed using the mass media (such as the press, radio or television) or if it takes place on a match day in or around a stadium, the minimum fine will be GH¢6000.00
Article 35(1)(b) and 35(7)(d) of the GFA Regulations which state as follows:
“A club official, player or member of a club who:-
Incites players against other players or match officials against their ruling on encourages an unhealthy demonstration in whatsoever from commits an offence and shall be liable to a fine to be determined by the G.F.A Disciplinary committee or banned from attending matches played under the jurisdiction of the G.F.A for such period as the G.F.A Disciplinary committee may determine.
Article 35(7)(d) of the GFA General Regulations states as follows;
(7) In addition to matters referred to in any other rule, it shall be misconduct if a club, Director, official, Referee, Assistant Referee, or player or member is proved to have done or permitted or assisted any of the following to be done.
(d) Commit any offensive act not provided for in above or made any offensive statement either verbally or in writing or is responsible for any conduct or any matter which is in the opinion of the Association ungentlemanly, insulting or improper behavior or likely to bring the game into disrepute.
1. Barimah Atuahene is hereby fined GH¢6000.00 to be paid in accordance with the G.F.A Regulations.
2. Barimah Atuahene is hereby banned from taking part in any kind of football related activity (Administrative, sporting or any other) for a period of twenty four (24) months from the date of this decision